Chef Chuck's Swordfish Stew

Pesce Spada!


I can remember walking early in the morning on the streets of Sicily, and there was a long line coming out of a very small shop. I peeked in and saw the neighborhood fishmonger cutting slices off a huge 100 pound swordfish. He said this will be gone by noon. It does not get any fresher than that, so when purchasing your fish only get the freshest you can find. I have a passion for swordfish steaks and this particular recipe is my winter reserve. The fish with its meaty flavor pairs up well with the salty capers. All these wonderful flavors and smells really warms me up. If you can't purchase fresh swordfish, tuna can be substituted.


Chef Chuck's Swordfish Stew 
1 pound swordfish 1/2 inch thick
3 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
1 onion sliced
3 celery stalks chopped

2 carrots chopped
3 garlic cloves minced
black pepper to taste
1/4 cup black olives sliced in half
1 tablespoon capers
1/4 cup chickpeas
2 cups San Marzano tomatoes
1 cup water

2 cups vegetable broth
1 bay leaf


In a large pot heat 2 tablespoons olive oil cook your soffritto, which is onions, celery and carrots for 5 minutes. Add garlic for another minute. Now add black pepper, olives, capers, chickpeas, tomatoes, water, broth and bay leaf. Bring to boil and then simmer for 20 minutes with lid on stirring occasionally. Add fish whole or cut in half put lid back on and simmer 5 minutes. Ladle soup in bowl and drizzle olive oil on top.

8 comments:

  1. Chuck - I got a pang of nostalgia for Sicily when I saw your beautiful photo. The recipe sounds really flavorful and unusual with the chickpeas. Thanks

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Ciao Chow Linda, Sicily has been on my mind a lot! Very flavorful!!
    Thanks

    ReplyDelete
  3. Good Morning Chef Chuck!!

    This looks so yummy. Swordfish and chickpeas sounds like such an interesting combo. I am going to make this but drop the black olives. I love them, my husband doesn't. Thanks again for a great recipe and have a good weekend!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Good Morning Ginger, Yes a good combo, will do, you to!
    Thank You

    ReplyDelete
  5. Chef Chuck,
    Your swordfish recipes sounds delightful. I love a meaty fish like swordfish (& tuna). I must try this soon!! b-t-w, all your recipes (& photos) look Yummy!
    Keep up the good work!!
    Love U, Cathy ( aka sissy)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hello My Love!! Please try this, I am sure you will like!
    Thanks

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi Chuck! This is one of our fave ways to eat swordfihs.. stewed. Interesting addition, ceci..I'll have to give this a try. Thanks for sharing. :)Jady

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi Jady, I hope you will enjoy!
    Thanks

    ReplyDelete